The Independent Book Publishers Association is committed to ensuring a safe and welcoming environment for all participants at all IBPA activities, meetings, and networking events.
The Independent Book Publishers Association is committed to ensuring a safe and welcoming environment for all participants at all IBPA activities, meetings, and networking events. We expect all participants at IBPA activities, meetings, and networking events to abide by this Anti-Harassment Policy in all venues, including ancillary events and official and unofficial social gatherings.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, harassing, or threatening behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of the Anti-Harassment Policy, even if they seem inconsequential.
Unacceptable behaviors include:
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech or actions by any participant in any IBPA meeting or networking event, at all related events, and in one-on-one communications carried out in the context of any IBPA meeting or networking event. IBPA event venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations;
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, religion, disability, age, appearance, or other personal characteristics;
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces (including presentation slides);
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following;
- Harassing photography or recording;
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events;
- Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact;
- Physical assault (including unwelcome touch or groping);
- Real or implied threat of physical harm;
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm;
- Real or implied offer of work in exchange for sexual favors.
IF YOU ARE BEING HARASSED, NOTICE THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS BEING HARASSED, OR HAVE ANY OTHER CONCERNS, PLEASE CONTACT A MEMBER OF THE IBPA STAFF IMMEDIATELY.
Staff can be identified by name badges. All reports are confidential.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any participant at an IBPA meeting or networking event, including anyone within IBPA with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, the IBPA leadership may take any action they deem appropriate, including removal from the IBPA meeting or event (without refund) at which the harassment occurred. Egregious violations will result in more severe sanctions.