IBPA’s organizational culture is made up of four things: Mission, Vision, Core Values, and a membership-wide Code of Ethics. As always, we welcome your feedback on each.
The IBPA Board of Directors has defined an organizational culture for IBPA that aligns the staff, Board, volunteers, and members with not only a shared view of “what is” but also of “why is." This organizational culture is the story in which people within IBPA are embedded, and the values and rituals that reinforce that narrative.
A summary of why IBPA exists.
IBPA's MISSION is to lead and serve the independent publishing community through advocacy, education, and tools for success.
A summary of what’s possible because IBPA exists.
IBPA’s VISION is a world where every independent publisher has the access, knowledge, and tools needed to professionally engage in all aspects of an inclusive publishing industry.
The implicitly understood, deeply held convictions that guide the spirit and nature of the IBPA Board, staff, and volunteers.
IBPA's CORE VALUES are:
- Service, which expresses IBPA’s commitment to openness and accessibility. IBPA’s desire to be authentically helpful without further agenda reflects an understanding that the essence of leadership is service.
- Leadership, which is expressed through IBPA’s position as the largest professional publishing association in the United States, as well as in its commitment to providing expert programs and perspectives to aid independent, hybrid, and author publishers in the business of publishing.
- Independence, which reflects a deep commitment to independent points of view and the belief that enabling access to these points of view is essential to creativity and innovation.
- Inclusivity, which reflects allegiance to a publishing industry where everyone can tell their story and find themselves in the content they read.
Code of Ethics
A commitment to professionalism, confirming IBPA's collective belief that the production of content of lasting financial and/or cultural value is just as important as securing open markets for this content.
As part of the independent publishing community, IBPA members pledge to the following CODE OF ETHICS:
- To uphold the highest standards of our industry, to create works of lasting financial and/or cultural value, and to pursue editorial, design, and production excellence.
- To respect the rights of authors and other creators and stakeholders, to observe all copyright laws and conventions, and to never knowingly publish plagiarized work.
- To reward authors and contributors for their work, to be honest in our financial dealings, to write contracts in understandable language, to resolve all disputes promptly and fairly, and to foster equal opportunity in our workplaces.
- To not mislead readers or buyers with false promises, inflated sales data, or manipulated reviews.
- To recycle and reuse and to follow green practices.
See also: A Code for Our Community