IBPA Launches New Social Media Campaign Messages in Support of the CASE Act
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
(Manhattan Beach, CA - January 15, 2020) -- The Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) has partnered with the Copyright Alliance and others on a targeted social media campaign with the goal of persuading Oregon Senator Ron Wyden to release his hold on the Copyright Alternative in Small-Claims Enforcement Act, aka the CASE Act.
The campaign is called #JustOne – since there is just one senator standing between the creator community and passing of the CASE Act in the Senate, and that’s Oregon Senator @RonWyden.
IBPA members, particularly those members in the state of Oregon, are encouraged to join the social media campaign by posting the text and images below on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. IBPA will be on the lookout for members' posts and will amplify all we see.
In addition, members in the state of Oregon may wish to send a physical letter to Senator Wyden's office. Here’s a link to Senator Wyden’s office addresses. Members are encouraged to write to his DC and Portland offices (sending the same message to both locations).
Sample letter template:
Dear Senator Wyden,
As a resident of Oregon and a member of the state’s vibrant creative community, I urge you to release your hold on the CASE Act – legislation that creators and small businesses desperately need to protect their works and livelihoods.
Without this bill, we have no means of protecting our works due to federal court being too expensive and complex for most to navigate. It’s an untenable position for us to be in, and we have no hope for the future of our businesses without the CASE Act being enacted.
Again, I urge you to support creators in Oregon and across the U.S. by releasing your hold on the CASE Act.
Listen to IBPA podcast host Peter Goodman discuss the CASE Act with the Authors Guild's Mary Rasenberger and Cheryl L. Davis on "Inside Independent Publishing with IBPA."
Thanks in advance for your support of the CASE Act!
Example #JustOne Social Media Posts
Use the text below verbatim in your social media posts.
- Senator @RonWyden, your proposed changes to the #CASEAct have nothing to do with the bill and everything to do with your opposition to #copyright law. Release your hold NOW and show creators that you actually care about justice for all! #JustOne #MySkillsPayBills @ibpa
- Senator @RonWyden — your proposed changes to the #CASEAct have nothing to do with the bill and everything to do with your opposition to #copyright law. Release your hold NOW and show creators that you actually care about justice for all! #JustOne #MySkillsPayBills @ibpa
- There's #JustOne person blocking the way to justice for creators across the country — Oregon Senator @RonWyden. Contact him at 202-224-5244 or firstname.lastname@example.org to urge him to lift his hold on the #CASEAct. #MySkillsPayBills @ibpa
- Senator @RonWyden — Stop trying to use the #CASEAct as a vehicle to make changes to aspects of copyright law that you don't like. Release your hold NOW to show creators that you actually care about their rights more than lining Google's pockets. #JustOne @ibpa
- Not only is @RonWyden trying to gut the #CASEAct with his proposed changes — he's demonstrating a deep distrust of the @CopyrightOffice by trying to strip them of their key responsibilities. Call him at 202-224-5244 to urge him to lift his hold NOW. @ibpa
- Senator @RonWyden, why are you doing @Google’s bidding and shortchanging the creator community? Creators across Oregon and the U.S. want to know! Release your hold on the #CASEAct NOW. #JustOne #MySkillsPayBills
Senator @RonWyden is breaking promises and disappointing his constitutents every day that he keeps his hold on the #CASEAct — it's time he serves the people who elected him. Call Senator Wyden at 202-224-5244 to urge him to lift his hold TODAY. @ibpa
- The House passed the #CASEAct almost unanimously last October in a bipartisan effort to support creators like @TWPROJECTS. Now, three months later, #JustOne person is standing in the way — Senator @RonWyden. Call the senator at 202-224-5244 to urge him to lift his hold! @ibpa
- Oregon has a longstanding, vibrant creative community — but Senator @RonWyden is more concerned with lining Google's pockets than protecting the cultural heritage of his own state. Call him at 202-224-5244 and urge him to lift his hold on the #CASEAct NOW! #JustOne @ibpa
- Senator @RonWyden, you've been moving the goalposts on the #CASEAct for months and U.S. creators are fed up with your games. Release your hold on this critical legislation NOW and support their interests. #JustOne #MySkillsPayBills @ibpa
Example #JustOne Social Media Images
Right click on an images below to save it to your desktop, then post it to social media along with text from one of the bullet points above.