Applications Now Being Accepted for Six Seats on the IBPA Board of Directors
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Manhattan Beach, CA - November 5, 2019) -- The Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) is looking for six qualified individuals to fill Director positions starting July 1, 2020. Four "Publisher" and two "Publisher Partner" seats must be filled during the current nominating cycle - spanning from November 1, 2019 to April 4, 2020 (see timeline below). IBPA members in good standing for at least 12 months are encouraged to apply for consideration prior to the December 31, 2019 application deadline.
"Joining the IBPA Board of Directors is one of the most rewarding ways for members in good standing to bring their expertise to the service of independent publishers nationwide," said IBPA CEO Angela Bole. "I look forward to welcoming new voices to the conversation through the current nominating cycle."
|The fiscal year 2020 IBPA Board of Directors with IBPA legal advisor Jonathan Kirsch (seated left next to IBPA Board Chair Brooke Warner of She Writes Press) during their August 22-23, 2019 Board meeting in Redondo Beach, California.
Each term on the IBPA Board is two years in length. The two years covered under the current nominating cycle are fiscal years 2021 and 2022 (being July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2022). In addition to a written application, select candidates will be asked to take part in personal interviews conducted by a Board Nominating Committee made up of previous IBPA Board members.
The current nominating cycle is as follows:
- November 1, 2019: Online application for the IBPA Board of Directors officially opens.
- November 30, 2019: IBPA Board Chair Brooke Warner confirms members of the 2019 Board Nominating Committee.
- December 31, 2019: Online application for the IBPA Board of Directors closes.
- January 1-31, 2020: Board Nominating Committee interviews select candidates.
- February 1, 2020: Board Nominating Committee chooses a slate of candidates for the six open seats.
- February 4, 2020: IBPA sends the Board Nominating Committee's slate of candidates to the full membership for consideration.
- April 4, 2020: IBPA membership votes to approve the slate of candidates during the IBPA Annual Members Meeting at IBPA Publishing University in Redondo Beach, California.
- July 1, 2020: Duly nominated Board members take office for a two-year term.
Among other things, candidates engaged in this year's nominating cycle can expect to be assessed against IBPA's Core Values, these being the implicitly understood, deeply held convictions that guide the spirit and nature of the IBPA Board, staff, and volunteers. They include:
- Service, which expresses IBPA’s commitment to openness and accessibility. IBPA’s desire to be authentically helpful without further agenda reflects an understanding that the essence of leadership is service.
- Leadership, which is expressed through IBPA’s position as the largest professional publishing association in the United States, as well as in its commitment to providing expert programs and perspectives to aid independent, hybrid, and author publishers in the business of publishing.
- Independence, which reflects a deep commitment to independent points of view and the belief that enabling access to these points of view is essential to creativity and innovation.
- Inclusivity, which reflects allegiance to a publishing industry where everyone can tell their story and find themselves in the content they read.
Said Bole, "IBPA Board members contribute varied skills toward helping the association achieve its vision of a world where every independent publisher has the access, knowledge, and tools needed to professionally engage in all aspects of an inclusive publishing industry. I strongly encourage members from diverse backgrounds to apply under the current nominating cycle. Now's the time to become engaged!"
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact IBPA CEO Angela Bole at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-546-1818.
From Section 7.2 of IBPA's Bylaws: Number and Qualification of Directors
All Directors must be members of [IBPA]. The authorized number of members of the Board ("Directors") shall not be less than 9 nor more than 30, and shall be an odd number. The precise number of authorized Directors shall be set within these limits by an affirmative vote of the majority of the Directors then in office. As of the date of adoption of these Revised and Restated Bylaws, the authorized number of Directors is 13. At no time may more than one-third (1/3) of the Directors collectively be members in the Publisher Partner category of membership.
About the Independent Book Publishers Association
Founded in 1983 to support independent publishers nationwide, the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) leads and serves the independent publishing community through advocacy, education, and tools for success. With over 3,100 members, IBPA is the largest publishing association in the US. Its vision is a world where every independent publisher has the access, knowledge, and tools needed to professionally engage in all aspects of an inclusive publishing industry. For more information, visit ibpa-online.org.