IBPA Works with Ingram Content Group as Baker & Taylor Exits Wholesale Business
Thursday, May 9, 2019
In response to the news that Baker & Taylor is exiting the book retail wholesale market, the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) has begun working with Ingram Content Group in an effort to help members not represented by a distributor and not using POD through Lightning Source or IngramSpark understand how to transition their wholesale business to Ingram Book Company.
As conversations are ongoing, IBPA members are encouraged to review the current prerequisites for setting up an Ingram Wholesale account (below) and email IBPA CEO Angela Bole at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or concerns.
Prerequisites for Setting up an Ingram Wholesale Account
Publishers interested in setting up a Wholesale account with Ingram Book Company should fill out the following application:
It is worth mentioning a few of the prerequisites for an Ingram Wholesale account.
A publisher must:
- Have sales greater than 50K for two consecutive years
- Be willing to sell to Ingram at a 60% discount and on a returnable basis
- Pay a setup fee of $650
- Pay freight to and from Ingram Content Group
- Participate in coop advertising
- Participate in Ingram iQ – All publishers are required to maintain an active iQ account. The is fee based and their fee is calculated from their reported sales numbers from the prior year. It’s a reporting and analytics publisher portal. Here are just a few of the benefits publishers experience with iQ:
- Self-serve reporting in one centralized platform
- Reports are downloadable and available in multiple formats
- Dynamic timeframes and the ability to pull historical data
- Channel-level visibility by Title
- Using Related Product, publishers can see how a “work” is performing at Ingram
- Print plus Digital reporting (for CS+ publishers)
- POD reporting and visibility of market opportunities across the globe
- Single sign-on access to ipage®
Also, net payment is 9 months for the first year until the account is established.
For titles that are sure to sell thousands of copies, a Wholesale agreement makes sense. Otherwise, Ingram has recommended that independent publishers use POD through Lightning Source or IngramSpark to gauge demand before investing in an large offset print order.