SPD/CLMP Indie Booksellers Council Forms
Thursday, September 20, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SPD/CLMP Indie Booksellers Council Forms Bringing Indie Booksellers Together in Support of Small Press Books
(Berkeley/New York - September 20, 2018) -- Small Press Distribution (SPD) and the Community of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP) announce the formation of an Indie Bookseller Council—created to bring independent booksellers together on behalf of small press literary books and magazines. Originally brought about from a conversation between SPD/CLMP Executive Director Jeffrey Lependorf and Greenlight Bookstore bookseller Jarrod Annis, the Indie Bookseller Council began with an invitation to a small group of indie booksellers known to have a particular interest and finesse in selling small press literary titles. This Council, in partnership with SPD/CLMP, seeks to build community among independent booksellers, to share small press bookselling tips and favorite titles, and to generally generate more attention for small press books.
|SPD/CLMP Executive Director Jeffrey Lependorf
The Council communicates through a listserv and virtual ad hoc Zoom meetings. Many Council members will also be able to meet in person at the next Winter Institute in Albuquerque this January. One of the key activities of the Council will be to generate more attention and sales for small press books through bookseller-generated reviews and aggregated pick lists. By coordinating these through multiple booksellers sharing their passion for particular titles with one another, the Council believes that indie booksellers—who can thrive through careful curation of hand-selected titles beyond just those on traditional bestseller lists—can generate more attention and sales for these special books. Because Council booksellers have a particular interest in getting genres like poetry, and books that feature things like literature in translation, into readers’ hands, it’s those readers who will ultimately be the real beneficiaries of this effort.
The charter members of the Council are:
- Jarrod Annis (Greenlight Bookstore, Brooklyn, NY)
- Joe Bratcher (Malvern Books, Austin, TX)
- Cassie Dugan (formerly of City Lights Bookstore, San Francisco, CA)
- John Evans (Diesel Books, Santa Monica, CA)
- Lee Francis (Red Planet Books & Comics, Albuquerque, NM)
- Debi Horton (M. Judson Booksellers, Greenville, NC)
- Jared Levine (City Lights Bookstore, San Francisco, CA)
- Veronica Liu (Word Up Books, NYC)
- Jason Mull (Alley Cat, San Francisco, CA)
- Tom Roberge and Emma Ramadan (Rifraff Bookstore, Providence, RI)
- Noah Ross (Moe’s Bookstore, Berkeley, CA)
- Stephen and Molly Sparks (Point Reyes Books, Point Reyes, CA)
- Angela Spring (Duende District, Washington, DC)
- Madeleine Watts, Sam McLaughlin, Doug Singleton (McNally Jackson Books, NYC)
The Council extends an open invitation to any indie booksellers with a particular interest in small press books to join this effort (by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org).