10 Tips for Seductive Story Angles
« Back to Independent Articles
The secret to becoming a media darling is to go the extra mile–research every show or publication before you send your pitch, and give it a targeted, relevant, timely, meaty story by using these 10 tips:
1. Begin your day by brainstorming with the daily paper. Get into the habit of reading your city paper with a notebook and pen in hand. Scan the headlines of each section and ask yourself, “What is in the news today that ties in with what I want to promote?”
2. Take advantage of media frenzy surrounding a juicy scandal. Janet Jackson got millions of dollars of free publicity from her stunt during the Super Bowl. When a big scandal breaks, see if you can use it as a news hook for promoting your book.
3. Read financial indices daily. Every single day, statistics change. Stocks go up or down. Interest rates fluctuate, or “threaten to fluctuate.” Consider ways you can use this activity for a news hook.
4. Use surveys to craft solid story ideas. The media views quantitative data as newsworthy, accurate, and sidebar-friendly. Launch a survey, or piggyback on survey results that relate to your industry to create a strong story.
5. Listen to questions your clients and customers ask you. Are you suddenly hearing lots of people asking the same question? A trend may be starting that you can tie into.
6. Read trade publications to spot industry trends. What is the buzz in your trade…IBPA Members – Click here to view the full article (login required).
From mailings to exhibits, see how IBPA's marketing programs help you grow your sales.Educational Opportunities
Attend a seminar, ask an expert, and get more free advice with our educational programs.Become a member
Access exclusive members-only benefits starting at just $10.